Tuesday, March 11, 2014

An Unforgettable Journey, Michael and Me: DAVID NORDAHL (Part four)


Thoughts on Michael Jackson




This is the last segment of our interview.We had tremendous technical difficulties at the end, but I left some in because I want everyone to see what trooper's we had on the show. Despite all of the technical difficulties, David hung in there as long as he could, Brick Price was also wonderful. He had broken two ribs! All the guests were quite kindly, despite the problems we had that night. Thank you to everyone.
9:29 Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oprah is really something.
1:29:31 David Nordahl
Oh yeah. She is going to get the scoop man. I just--I lost all my respect for Oprah after that show, my wife did too. We just couldn't feel it.
1:29:42
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So did I. So did me. I have no respect for her whatsoever and you know if there are Oprah-ites that are out there, I do apologize, I just do not care for Oprah anymore.
1:29:56
David Nordahl
Nope. I am done with Oprah. I used to think she is a good person, now she did that and then I lost all respect.
1:30:05
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I just do not understand what her fetishes regarding the Jackson family? (Crosstalk). No she is there with Catherine with all the rest of the family
.1:30:19
David Nordahl
Yup, yup.
1:30:21
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
If you do not like (crosstalk)...
1:30:22
David Nordahl
I don't know if that is an old __01:30:23__. She is still trying to be a journalist -- you know she is trying to maintain her audience, I guess or something she shows up wherever its handy (laughs).
1:30:37
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah. What should she said she did not want to be like Michael and his -- where he could not surpass fuller and she said she was going to surpass what she was doing and so, she was going to go and get all the station.
1:30:55
David Nordahl
Yup.
1:30:57
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Having all the station, network, whatever -- network I guess...
1:31:03
David Nordahl
That Oprah.
1:31:04
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
And so, that is what she wanted to do. She said she is going to own a network and to make sure that she was (crosstalk) like Michael that is what she said.
1:31:13
David Nordahl
Yeah. I know, but -- you know she was too busy reading her own clippings -- you know, she is trying to be the big, big shot -- you know if you have your own network, how do you get any bigger than that -- you know Mike?
1:31:29
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
But fewer is still sewing and the only network -- her network is failing.
1:31:48
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So, Thriller even though Michael, remember they haven't got an album more popular than Thriller. Thriller is still selling though her network is failing.
1:32:00
David Nordahl
Exactly. (crosstalk) Michael believes the clippings. Michael was a really grounded person. Michael never changed from the time I met on 1988 until you know until the present day. I mean Michael never changed his views, never changed his purpose and never changed -- he never got a big hit from being who he was -- you know because I have known other celebrities and things and sometimes when they get big breaks then all of a sudden they got a lot of press. All of a sudden something changes. They get used to being made over and Michael is never like that. Michael never bought into that stuff. He knew where he was all the time.
1:37:35
David Nordahl
So, we back on the air?
1:37:36
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yes, yes. David we're back you on the air and now naturally (laughs) naturally because everybody -- because we were all -- a lot of people (laughter) okay, my heart, my heart, my heart oh my goodness. Okay.
1:38:31
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So, we were talking about -- let's us talk about Michael said that he had, all these news that was coming in the It is like a blessing or something and I know -- a lot of about everything that happens comes to him from God. So, what about this -- you know I know you said he was fortunate to be to have this talent, but give me a little depths on that because it is like -- so it seems like it was so much a part of him to the point where he could not sleep. He left in other words. I am visualizing a person who lives their mind open to God so much that they cannot shutdown for sleep.
1:39:24
David Nordahl
That is right. It just keeps pouring in -- just keeps pouring in because you know Michael always had great ideas and Michael always thought big. Michael never thoughts small. He was always big you know and so he would have this you know the music would becoming to them. Ideas for how he could help people would becoming to them, all those things and you now Michael -- you know I use to call him Mr. Curious because he just had to know about everything and the thing I missed the most about Michael I guess is when we just sit around talk sometime. We sit around and talk for hours you know...
1:40:09
David Nordahl
And you can talk about you could talk about any subject I do not care if you are talking about Science or Music or Medicine or you know, world politics or whatever. Michael was a voracious reader and he was a very intelligent man and could speak intelligently on almost any subject and most of the times when I really enjoyed our time together, when we could set and discuss things and sometimes we argue, his view would be different than mine. It was always fun. It was always entertaining and it was always enlightening.
1:41:01
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
This painting that you did -- you've got a painting -- man, this as beautiful horse and it is a picture and it is called Camelot.
1:41:10
David Nordahl
Oh yeah, that is he and Lisa Marie. Right after he married Lisa Marie, he wanted me to do a portrait of the two of them. And he gave me the idea for it and so I made sketches for him, but at the time when I did those, we were working on two or three other projects. I do not remember what they are but there are some other things that he needed and so I asked him after some sketch and he said I love it just the way it is and I said "Should I put this other things inside and work on this" and he said "No, no get those other things done first" and then as we know -- you know the two of them split up so.
1:41:59
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Right. So it was like it was pointless by the time you did it?
1:42:07
David Nordahl
Yeah. Yeah. Kind of it was I guess -- you know I think the two of them had some-- you know at that point that was 1996 and you know Michael wanted to move out of the country. He would really discuss that after that 1993 incident and so that -- and he wanted to move to Paris, but Lisa Marie is very involved with her friends at Los Angeles who were not actors. They were people that she knew from the school where her kids went. And I think she spent a lot of time with the school and she had her circle of friends and (crosstalk). Yes. She do not want to live that and also she absolutely tested having to have security every time she went some place. She really, really does like that and I think just the differences that they have at that time. Just -- you know made it so, but it would not workout. But I really like her. She is really sweet. She is really pretty and she really reminded me a lot of her dad.
1:45:11
David Nordahl
I also want to add -- you know that Michael was -- you know he was really funny. He was a real practical joker and -- you know he would laugh at themselves, but -- you know there just so many incidences where he was playing little jokes like, I was in California to help and I was doing some work for Michael. I had my drawing board and all my drawing supplies and stuff. I forgot what project I was working on, Michael was on Sunset Boulevard at the recording studio, so I was working on this thing for Michael and he called me it was about 11 o'clock at night and he said that "Do you get that thing finished?" I said "Yes, I did" and he said "Why don't you bring it over" you know to the music studio and I said "Sure." So, I went over there and when I walked in the front door, he grabbed me and we went into a little storage room and he said "Everybody is mad at me."
1:46:17
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Why?
1:46:18
David Nordahl
"Why? What happened?" and you know the __ 1:46:21__ was there and Jimmy Jam and you know all these great musicians and Michael has not going over everything (laughs) you know 100 times and these guys are used to lying down the track -- you know one take you know, but Michael (crosstalk) over and over and over (laughs) he keep there until 4-5 o'clock in the morning. (Laughter), so they were all set with the __ 1:46:48__ I had this big portfolio thing, it is a big briefcase kind of thing that I brought all the drawings over and so after we did that and we had some pizza and then I went back to the Hotel and when I left, I thought my briefcase was awful damn heavy and I get back to the hotel, when I open it up is like 20 pounds of bubble gum become cascading (laughs) out of my briefcase. First of all, I did not see him put that in there, but secondly who has a hundred -- you know a thousand pieces of bubble gum (laughs) those from. I don't know where he got those from.
1:47:26
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
(Laughs) Oh my God.
1:47:32
David Nordahl
And you know before I went out there, Evie had called me and said that Michael had a project that he want me to work on and I should come out to Los Angeles while he is recording and so, I said sure and so Evie gave me that number for the recording studio and so I called and told him where I was and then I need to talk to Michael. So, I get this lady on the phone and she has got a real thick Brooklyn accent and she is asking me all these questions about how do I know Michael and what is my business with Michael and all the stuff. Well, I have -- you know I have been doing work for Michael for a long time (laughs) and I was get really irritated and I found that later that was Michael I was talking to.
1:48:27
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
What?
1:48:28
David Nordahl
Yeah. That was Michael. He is just messing of me again.
1:48:34
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Each of us to ask like a -- what do you do to know this for, wait would I answer your -- answer the call for you right now.
1:48:46
David Nordahl
Yeah (laughs) and I said okay.
1:48:47
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Party here on the air.
1:48:49
David Nordahl
Who the hell is she -- you know so, (laughs).
1:48:53
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Party into the air.
1:48:55
David Nordahl
My business is with...
1:48:56
Louise
Hello!
1:48:57
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Michael now with some lady from Brooklyn.
1:49:03
David Nordahl
You have a call.
1:49:04
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
What's your name?
1:49:05
Louise
1:49:07
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Hi, Louise.
1:49:09
Louise
Hi, how are you?
1:49:10
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Very well. Lets go David or did you have something you want to ask David or say to David?
1:49:18
Louise
Yes. I want to ask David about his style or clothing that he always dressed Michael and his portraits. Did Michael adapt that style in his own personal costumes and attires that he loves to wear and in his personal design in his furniture in his picture and things? I know that you guys have similar taste.
1:50:04
David Nordahl
In answer to your question yeah Michael really loved -- you know that Arthurian Period kind of him and you know in history and he likes that kind of manner of dress and -- you know children stories and all that kind of stuff. He really did enjoy that kind of thing. I do not know how much that I guess it did quite a bit into the clothing and the costumes that he would wear.
1:50:39
Louise
I think so too and I also sought in his style of furnishings that he likes to pick out for me. He really got into the intricate detailed ornate kind of decorating and it's...
1:51:02
Louise
You rubbed off on each other pretty well I think.
1:51:05
David Nordahl
like I went back to L.A. with him once because I was supposed to fly out of Santa Barbara on a Monday morning and this was Sunday night and Michael is going to drive back to LA. And so I told him, I said, "Maybe I'll just ride down with you to L.A. tonight, then I don't have to take that commuter flight from Santa Barbara down to L.A. in the morning. And he said, "No, that'll be fine." And I said, "You know, you can drop me at a hotel or whatever." He said, "No, you stay at my place if you don't mind sleeping on a couch." And I said, 'No, I don't mind." And so we drove down and it was like, 2 o'clock in the morning and before the kids, Michael used to drive around all the time without any kind of security or anything. After the kids were born that all changed because he worried that the kids would be harmed. They always went down to Los Angeles and I was surprised. You know, I expected a penthouse apartment or something. It was just a little two-bedroom apartment. One bedroom is so full of junkie, cannot get in it. You know, if you have a garage sale, I don't think you'll get 150 bucks for everything in his apartment. Except for, you know, he had a popcorn machine and he had a good stereo. And then he had a piano, a grand piano. (Crosstalk)
1:51:06
David Nordahl
Yeah. And you know he really got into furnishings things, you know after the kids were born, before the kids were born...
1:52:33
Louise
You know, if he were still with us today, he would be definitely a hoarder.
1:52:39
David Nordahl
Oh yeah. Absolutely, and he had a piano stuffed in the kitchen, so you couldn't get into the kitchen. It's a pretty small apartment. He did not live grandly at all before the kids. After the kids were born, then things changed because he needed security, he needed a decent place for them to live. Otherwise before that, he did not care anything about material things.
1:53:05
Louise
I just have one more question for you. I did send you an email to your actual website and Lori answered it for me, but this is more personal. How are you doing? How are you coping?
1:53:15
David Nordahl
I am doing just fine, thank you. Thank you for asking.
1:53:20
Louise
Yeah, I know. Because even as fans, we didn't know them that way. It's still, it's been a grieving process, the most painful thing. I think I have ever experienced in my life. These people that were close to him like you, I just wonder, from day to day, how do you cope? It's a hard enough to see in a fan. You know?
1:53:43
David Nordahl
It was devastating. When I first heard the news that he have been taken to a hospital, I though well. That's fine. They will get him rehydrated. He has been working hard, rehearsing for This Is It concert and they will get him rehydrated and they will send him back home, he'll be fine. I couldn't believe. When they actually said that he was dead, I just refused to believe it at first. I thought, "No, no, no. He will be fine. He is fine". Let's find out what the truth is, you know. And I was just devastated.
1:54:23
Louise
Now, it's like my life has changed and I know a lot of people feel that way, too. Now, I'm at 55, the same age as Michael. I have found purpose. I have found the real purpose and I've taken all that grief might turn it around. And I see so many of his so-called friends, just taking advantage of the fact they knew Michael, and things like that. And it's heartbreaking. I think it's the fans. The fans have been left up to carry on his legacy.
1:54:44
David Nordahl
Of course, absolutely, absolutely. All those people that had understood what Michael was, you know.Of course, absolutely, absolutely. All those people that had understood what Michael was, you know.
1:55:01
Louise
Exactly. But it was great talking to you. I appreciate you taking my call Catherine. Okay. Bye, bye now
1:55:10
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Okay. (Crosstalk). Bye Louise.
1:55:15
Louise
Bye-bye.
1:55:19
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
It was constant that she brought up how does it feel for you. It seemed to me that you know, I looked at what Janet Jackson said, "What's going on with my life. And so even though it's four years. I'm still devastated. I was gonna tell you.
1:55:53
David Nordahl
No, me too. I don't want to think about it. Whenever I hear Michael's music, I get stuck up. I just can't believe he's not here.
1:55:54
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I talked to myself, I really couldn't understand how Janet could just say, "Well look, I am moving on". I don't believe it. I don't believe it for a second.
1:56:18
David Nordahl
I don't either. Speaking of.
1:56:21
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I don't think so. And I don't understand how the Jacksons can. Nothing __1:56:25__ with direct, but I wonder if they miss him.
1:56:31
David Nordahl
You know what, I don't know. I've always said like Michael was closest to Janet. He helped her a lot when she first started recording. They set her up in a studio and all that kind of stuff. Boy, I don't know how he got over that. I don't know about the Jackson 5. He kind of -- Michael...
1:56:41
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
They've gotten away from there.
1:56:55
David Nordahl
Well, yeah. Michael kind of held his family. He loved this family. Don't get me wrong. But I think he kind of held them at arm's length because a lot of his family wanted to be involved in Michael's success. They are always trying to get him to join them as the old Jackson 5. But Michael was a solo artist. He wasn't a group artist. Not a part of a boy band. He was when he was a small kid, but as soon he got older, that feed mood enters on his own music. It wasn't anything against his family. It was just that Michael needed to do things by himself.
...
2:00:48
David Nordahl
You know, I was fortunate. When Michael passed away, we actually had guests that were here from Norway and Finland, and they are Michael Jackson fans, Elise and her boyfriend, Simmo. So they were here when Michael passed away, which was a huge help for me. Because I was just lost, but like what you're talking about, it gives you somebody to talk to and to exchange some ideas, some things about Michael, you know?
2:01:22
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
There's a picture that you did of Michael with an S on his chest. Why didn't I look like that? Why didn't I go out there and say to him, "We know who he is I couldn't have. But that's just not. It doesn't feel like that. And everybody else had the same thing. So we got the chance to come together and know each other and work out a lot of things. After which, you know now everybody is. We're still working things out, but we are able to do it. It's not, it's not as and it's devastating, you know? I have this picture of yours on your page and it's called The Storyteller. And I tell you, I'm with Michael. I love those kind of pictures. Look like they are children pictures.
2:02:33
David Nordahl
Yeah, you know that grew out of a conversation. Michael and I had one night on the phone. Michael was a voracious reader and he worried that was, with TV and the video games and all that kind of thing that kids were not reading as much as they should. And so, there was a conversation that we had on a phone, and so, after I hung up with him, __ 2:03:30__ that makes a great painting, if I made him a storyteller because Michael really believes in that, so (crosstalk). And then I send it off to him and he just flipped, he just absolutely loved it. I was supposed to have a sketch back so I could do the painting. But he had been keeping the sketch. He would always do that. Like whenever, I would send him a sketch. He would never send it back. He will just keep it.
2:04:00
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So you had to do it again? Do the sketch again?
2:04:04
David Nordahl
No, I fortunately, you know, I copied it before I send it to him. But normally, when I send out on a sketch, I get it back. So I can do the finished work, but he would never send any of them back. If I send some to when a black hole.
2:04:25
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
How do you know where they are now?
2:04:27
David Nordahl
Well, they were supposedly in a warehouse somewhere. You know, that was sometime ago, I assume that he loved all those things and I'm sure he kept them.
2:04:41
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Hello? Oh, I thought you were gone again.
2:04:46
David Nordahl
No I'm not. I'm still here. Can you hear me?
2:04:50
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yes, I can. But I mean in my heart, it was like, "Oh no, not again." Not again, I can't take it. What I like about this, what I like about that picture is I wanted a little kid who is there and he is fascinated. He's got his hands on his face like he's biting his fingernails. There is something just going on there. And I like that teacher with a little kid. I like reading to kids and all those really big books where you turn around and show them the pictures and everybody go wanted to see the picture.
2:05:34
David Nordahl
Sure. And also -- Michael and I were talking about is that you know, when you see the film, it's fun and exciting and all that stuff, but you're seeing the director's version of the story but when you read the book. When you read the book, you'll see his pictures that they create inside your mind. So at the same time, when you're reading, you're also forming a visual thing about whatever you're reading. You're seeing it in your mind's eye. And that's why we like to read is because we make up what it looks like.
2:06:17
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Alright. Because if we -- caller, you're on the air. We know that every word is -- it's just standing and form a picture depending upon how you live and say cheer to someone and they will visualize performing cheers someone else and visualize something much more fancy.
2:06:46
David Nordahl
That's right.
2:06:48
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So it depends upon where your heart is, where your life is, what pictures you see and always like that expression. You get the picture.Hi, what's your name?
2:06:50
Brick Price
My name is Brick Price and I'm glad to (Crosstalk) Christine. Hi, how are you doing?
2:07:04
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I'm Catherine. It's nice to meet you.
2:07:08
Brick Price
I'm sorry, that's Christine, I apologize. Anyway, David Nordahl, this is Brick Price. I knew Michael pretty well as well and I'm gonna be interviewed tomorrow for some of the things that I know about him, which is not a whole lot, and I pretty much concur with a lot of what you just said. I just got home prior about 20 minutes ago so I missed unfortunately the live broadcast but if somebody wanted to be part of the admiration society here and said that your workmanship is just amazing. And you know -- I mean I've been calling artist, but the sort of things that I do, but it's different from the way you do them. It has a brilliant and you know, I'm thinking, once you're responsible for the Neverland __2:07:53__ logo as well.
2:07:57
David Nordahl
No, actually I didn't. That was done before I met Michael. Because...
2:08:03
Brick Price
Well, I go the (Crosstalk) go ahead.
2:08:06
David Nordahl
No I was about to say that, when I met Michael, they were just finalizing the deal on the ranch.
2:08:10
Brick Price
Yes.
2:08:11
David Nordahl
But he was already involved in preparing promotional material all that kind of stuff. So he already had the logo at the time when I met him.
2:08:22
Brick Price
Because what we did was we carved the wood, the wood signs. Somebody really wants that we're around the ranch and based on the pictures of it, which you know you can have but the art work was done, and then of course, I, the reason I'm in this little blueprint that because of Rob. He contacted me and Rob kind of stole my job. And that I have been working with Michael as a friend. That we have kept the deal. And we got to know each other fairly well. As I think Brad said, we considered each other friends but that wasn't the kind of guy that he would kibbutz with. He did call me the next morning but whenever kibbutz -- but I remember, we built a train for him that was small. __2:09:13__ And then I suddenly realized he wanted the real thing __2:09:18__ and she contacted Rob and then Rob built the train and he came in with the artwork on it and that was nice. He did it, it was quite nice.
2:09:30
David Nordahl
Oh yeah, yeah.
2:09:31
Brick Price
But your artwork is, like he said, Michael, he said that he was, that the music just came to him. And it is if what you did was the visual side of it, so it's like he was the ears and like you were the eyes. You can visualize it, then you became the eyes and the hands. And that's kind of where I felt that many of us were.
2:09:53
David Nordahl
Yeah. You know, opinions about everything. I remember being in a golf car with him at the ranch, and we passed by a place that he stopped and he looked at it and he went back and talked to Norma. He said that, every head that he mounded up, and then all had to be planted with flowers and within about 20 minutes, there were earth movers. (Laughs) But he always had an eye on everything. And he could always have a cool picture of what he wanted.
2:10:30
Brick Price
But he had the same kind of thing happened on we work on Moonwork there was the visual effects director and a couple of things. And so I was at the ranch when it was in the __ 2:10:39__ stages before Rob came along obviously and same kind of thing happened. He felt the place was so magical and it was. He even __ 2:10:46__. He saw the movie, he has a scene where he is running through a meadow with flowers and the same thing exactly the thing happened where he planted the field with yellow flowers just for the sake of the shot on the film. He was very detail on it, so then now looking at your pictures, the picture of him working as a kid, it's very reminiscent on that scene from the film.
2:11:11
David Nordahl
That's right, yeah. I know. He had always -- he planned everything on it. At one point, he had a lake frost at the ranch and lots of flowers died from the frost. And Michael was just devastated and everybody had pulled all the plants and then Norma said that the place was a bottom over and hollow I think was like they brought every flower that they had over there. He brought them over and planted them all again.
2:11:52
Brick Price
That is where the yellow flowers came from. But he had a bunch of it.
2:11:54
David Nordahl
Yeah, no, yeah. And the grounds they were just unbelievable. It was a magical place. My wife and I were there. And night came and there always birds singing. And Lori said, "Wow, this place is so magical. Even the birds sing at night." But then he got of all those speakers, you know. (Crosstalk) (Laughter) Yeah, that's great. And it's all they have these bird songs and then across that one pond over the first place where the kids got off on a train, in the smaller train over there. There was the classical music playing across the pond. It really was magical place.
2:12:40
Brick Price
Now that smaller train, how big was it? Was it a little industrial locomotive with the chimney that you could ride on top of?
2:12:47
David Nordahl
Well, there were cars pulled behind and the locomotive the engineer sat and the backside locomotive, it was a scaled down version of a train. (crosstalk)
2:13:01
Brick Price
It sounds like the one we built.
2:13:03
David Nordahl
I'm sure that was the first train that went in.
2:13:07
Brick Price
That's what _ 2:13:10_. Because I remember _ 2:13:12__ because connection and I was in the 3D, and he loved this engine well. Now, he loved (crosstalk). And I think that if he was reincarnated it had been through Michael. (Crosstalk) I honestly feel that Michael was reincarnate, and he had this kind of impression.
2:13:36
David Nordahl
Does he kept in contact with Walsh's wife.
2:13:38
Brick Price
I don't know that.
2:13:40
David Nordahl
Oh yeah. He sure did.
2:13:44
Brick Price
So do you know __2:13:47__ Disney's artist.
2:13:47
David Nordahl
Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
2:13:49
Brick Price
He moved over and I was fortunate, __ 2:13:55__ is to Walt as Brad and I, Michael, you and I, the three of us __ 2:14:06__ because I was in the train in 3D and of course _2:14:11__ and you were an artist, like the battery of artists that he had. And I was fortunate enough to work for Disney and he was calling me because of my interest in 3D was called in to work with him and that's when we met. And that's when he was fascinated. Michael is already fascinated with the whole concept of the paragon getting involved and so on and so forth.
2:14:31
David Nordahl
Oh yeah.
2:14:33
Brick Price
And so I just wish that it could gone of course, but I saw it going and had been derailed by some of these other, I'm sorry to have interrupted your show, but I just (crosstalk), take advantage of the fact that I can say face-to-face I think here your work is absolutely brilliant and wonderful, wonderful tribute to him. Have you had these published or you're planning on publishing them?
2:14:58
David Nordahl
No.
2:14:59
Brick Price
You should.
2:15:00
David Nordahl
Well, I don't know if I should do that.
2:15:05
Brick Price
No, they should be sure __2:15:12__, but I have a thousand, I mean I don't know what to do either -- no I have several hundred 3D photographs at the ranch because I was more -- see were you and Brad and Rob were more at the park most of the time. I was behind the scene on the various projects like Moonwalk, the Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour, that sort of things so that's why...
2:15:36
David Nordahl
Did you do some filming around like because somebody shot a bunch of 35-mm film of Michael and I don't know it that was you or someone else.
2:15:45
Brick Price
35-mm film or stills.
2:15:47
David Nordahl
No, 35 motion picture film.
2:15:50
Brick Price
No I didn't shoot any motion up there.
2:15:52
David Nordahl
Okay, alright.
2:15:53
Brick Price
But I was one of maybe a half dozen people at the very most, well aside from Quincy Jones and people like that and kids. Whenever they come up to visit, he was having a bunch of kids there. I have heard breaking story that they tell during my interview tomorrow night but -- Michael, I was witnessed to a lot of things. In fact, one of my son's friends lived for a year after the doctor said she was gonna die. She was about four or something. And he brought to her so much of joy that he just literally breathe life back into her.
2:16:34
David Nordahl
Yeah. No, no you go ahead.
2:16:35
Brick Price
I absolutely think why would he then just start career elsewhere, why would you not want to publish them?
2:16:41
David Nordahl
Yeah, I know.
2:16:43
Brick Price
No, I said why would you not want to publish your picture?
2:16:45
David Nordahl
Oh me, I don't know. I just -- I didn't want make anyone else to my colleague __2:16:50__
2:16:50
Brick Price
Why you don't have to I feel the same way you do? The bulk and the money can go to charities. I mean there's plenty of things where we saw that work.
2:17:01
David Nordahl
That's true, I guess, yeah.
2:17:03
Brick Price
There are millions, I mean millions of people who just smile at seeing his pictures in a really good artsy kind of a book. In fact, you never thought we did that carving. I always say, it would be wonderful to do a coffee table book that had leather bound cover that was embossed with a logo, the Neverland logo, and then on the inside, you can have all of your, really good quality leaflets, do that in 3D glasses and some of the 3D images (crosstalk). It would be an amazing book. And Rob has pictures of them. A combination between you, me, Rob, Brad, and __ 2:17:55__. Anyway there was four of us that were involved with the ranch. Just maybe a wonderful book to produce.
2:18:04
David Nordahl
Why really, why because you know that, the ranch?
2:18:05
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
There's a person who wants to talk to you guys. Party around here, 916.
2:18:11
Susan
Hi, I couldn't hear you very well, can you hear me okay?
2:18:15
David Nordahl
I can hear you.
2:18:19
Susan
Hi! This is Susan. I live in Orangeville, California, which is greater Sacramento. I love the fact that you just dropped in Brick. Hearing you talk with David, I mean I'm sitting here thinking, this is great, I could listen to these two guys. (Laughs)
2:18:39
David Nordahl
It's a mutual admiration society and we have common knowledge here, is Michael.
2:18:45
Susan
I know, I was just thinking of how wonderful it would be all these things going on in my head. How different people have had various similar __ 2:18:53__ currently doing this in the studio, seminars, and I'm thinking that people that had connections to the Neverland Ranch and had various responsibilities. It would be a really neat thing if some kind of a symposium or get together or whatever fancy name you wanna call it could be created where you and like David Nordahl and then people that really knew and loved Michael could come and have, maybe not a real prepared talk, but just get together and talk and have this available to a group of fans. I mean this would be a fantastic thing for Michael Jackson fans to be able to take part ...
2:19:39
David Nordahl
I just lost contact I don't know if you can hear me or not.
2:19:41
Brick Price
David, we can hear you fine.
2:19:44
David Nordahl
Everything just went dead here.
2:19:47
Brick Price
We can hear you David.
2:19:48
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
David, __2:19:49__ that's pretty much what we're trying to do here, Susan?
2:19:55
Susan
Yes, I'm here.
2:19:58
Brick Price
Go ahead.
2:19:59
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
(Incomprehensible)
2:20:08
Brick Price
Something weird is happening on suddenly with...
2:20:10
David Nordahl
I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I'll just hang up.
2:20:12
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Well I try to get this real quick, but just a thrilled to be able to say how much I admire your art, David.
2:20:23
Brick Price
David's out there, unfortunately.
2:20:25
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh, he is? No. I just wanted the fact that you came on and we're talking about the train and different things, too bad that we lost it. Anyway, we can get it back. (Crosstalk)
2:20:42
Brick Price
(Crosstalk) But our kids too, when you're talking about something like that, our son and daughters spend a fair amount of time up there, and they have their own stories, in fact our son wanted to come forth during the trials and testify on Michael's behalf because he thought it was so unfair and the attorneys, our attorneys, Michael's attorneys said, no, that they would just roast him and it would ruin his life. He was quite well and to just step in and say, what a great guy Michael was.
2:21:20
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah.
2:21:22
Brick Price
And to hear their stories now I mean every one's in a while I have been able to talk about Michael ever since he died. By the way, David, are you back, aren't you?
2:21:31
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I'm trying to get him.
2:21:33
Brick Price
When Michael died and I couldn't even, I literally had to put the stuff away and not even look at it. And if it haven't been for Rob going me up, I got to love him about a month ago I'll probably still would have to __ 2:21:44__, but we literally found a DVD of Moonwalker which I worked on three segments of that, doing special effects and visual effects and that was great. I mean the kids spent a fair amount of time on stage with us and then they came down because he did not mind especially if the kids were well behaved and understood being behind the scenes. He loves having the kids around because that was he was playing to, the kids. He really did enjoy telling stories and see kids light up and making them believe in mythology, if you will or the love, he is always saying the message of love.
2:22:23
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Right. I actually could picture Michael in a role, in a movie where he is some kind of a magical character where he interacts with children. It's probably one of the real tragedies that we didn't get to see that part of his creativity to the point where he wanted it to happen.
2:22:46
Brick Price
Well, here's an interesting thing with especially, because, you know nothing about me, I know, but my background is special effects, I won an Emmy, and I'm still very active in special effects, working in films all the time. You would not believe what you can do in or recreate images. Imagine what they do with recreating dinosaurs and with the CGI.
2:23:08
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh I know, yeah.
2:23:10
Brick Price
There is enough of the visual information on Michael and is enough movement and enough, there has been -- they've tracked his movements. And we have body moulds of him when we are doing the robot. So you could quite literally recreate Michael Jackson as an animation or be scary. It will be so realistic. It will be a magnificent tribute to him. It would be the greatest __ 2:23:33__ picture of David Nordahl's where Michael is astride a horse, I hope you've seen that and trying something out of a Cinderella or whatever and have a Disney film but it's like Disney to another level.
2:23:43
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Exactly. Yeah.
2:23:47
Brick Price
And maybe David's battery ran out.
2:23:52
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I'm trying to get David back. This is something that's going on with the studio and they said they are working on it, and I would tell you why, when there's something. (crosstalk).
2:24:09
Brick Price
Maybe you can impose on him to interrupt mine because you can probably hear my throat, I have two broken ribs and it's very difficult to talk. But I wanted so much to speak about Michael that this has been very important to me and so even with the pain and the painkillers, etc. I was hoping I'd be able to pull my weight tomorrow night and talk and I spoke to Rob about calling in and kind of boosting me and my son. He is gonna at the ready in case I start coughing or something. But when in the morning you may listen to me for that reason now, but hopefully David can come on tomorrow night, perhaps and we can send a short dialogue then because it's easier for me, if you remember things, it turns out that when we talk amongst ourselves we all remember things.
2:25:05
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Is this why I was hoping. Alright, here's David now. Hello? Yeah David, you have me, but you don't hit me on the station, so I've been trying to call you. This is the station, it's not you, it's not me. We really -- it's the first time we're playing thing that we're innocent, but David we really are innocent. You didn't do it and neither did I.
2:25:36
Brick Price
And certainly it wasn't my fault.
2:25:38
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
No it wasn't your fault either.
2:25:39
Susan
I've lost contact twice with his Blog Talk Radio Program. I don't know what kind of issues they're having, but it's affecting the callers.
2:25:51
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
It's affecting all of us. I'm trying to get him back. That's lovely.
2:26:05
Susan
Well, I don't wanna take up the time. I did very much enjoy listening to you, two, Brick (crosstalk)
2:26:13
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
But we've got another caller and I'm gonna check to see if I can get, David, I'm calling you right back.
2:26:22
David Nordahl
You told me to hang up?
2:26:23
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah, you have to hang up.
2:26:24
David Nordahl
Okay. (Crosstalk)
2:26:28
David Nordahl
Hi, this is David Nordahl Avatar speaking, can I help you? (Crosstalk). Hello?
2:26:42
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Hello?
2:26:43
Brick Price
We love technology.
2:26:45
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yes, don't we? Don't we are such so wonderful..
2:26:48
Brick Price
(Crosstalk) our technology and it's still a love-hate relationship.
2:26:52
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah, I'm gonna say, computers can't live, technology can't live with it and you really can't live without it, so.
2:26:59
Brick Price
No, they did not show a couple of minutes but they proved that they had kids and they took all our stuff away for a couple of days.
2:27:03
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah, I've seen things like that. Women especially, had to give up their cell phones.
2:27:10
Brick Price
Oh yeah, it was worth than drugs, but you know. They act like little drug addicts. They were shaking and did not communicate. (Laughs) I mean they look like the worst stone I've ever met. Anyway, can I put in on David or talk about something else where anything you wanna know or anybody
2:27:30
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
We'll talk in the meantime. We are trying to get David back, so.
2:27:36
Brick Price
Smoking if you got them. No, no, no. I don't like smoking.
2:27:40
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Well, I look forward to listening to you then tomorrow. What time does the show start tomorrow?
2:27:44
Brick Price
Well that's why I was calling you then. I just got trapped somehow in going down here. I was literally calling you to find out what to do. (Crosstalk). I called the number, the only number I had, and here we are. So I guess I have to figure it out. So that we lose David permanently or what's going on or how long he was supposed to speak?
2:28:24
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
No, it's not __2:28:25__
2:28:28
Brick Price
If you're going to this telephone server hang up right now and change server.
2:28:33
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh why for technology, let's try this again. Oh, I told David I'd be right back with him and now...
2:28:39
Brick Price
I've used up all my dogs and ponies to hurry back.
2:28:44
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh my gosh! David is probably out back cleaning. He gave up trying.
2:28:52
Brick Price
Tell him I welcome him tomorrow night to make up the time, honestly. Swear to God.
2:28:57
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Okay.
2:28:58
Brick Price
I need his help ___2:28:57__ in case I start coughing.
2:29:03
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Alright, we still had to try to get him one more time.
2:29:08
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh my goodness!
2:29:10
Brick Price
Is it working?
2:29:12
David Nordahl
It's working for me.
2:29:13
Brick Price
Oh thank God, welcome back, David.
2:29:18
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Thank God.
2:29:19
Brick Price
Hail our conquering hero.
2:29:21
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Hallelujah.
2:29:24
Brick Price
Now David needs to do a painting of him vanquishing the phone company.
2:29:28
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
You know what's the need of painting? You need a painting to see the beads popping out of my head while I'm trying...
2:29:36
David Nordahl
__2:29:34__ radio is dead air.
2:29:37
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
With my hair hanging and beads of sweat popping off my forehead. (Incomprehensible)
2:29:55
Brick Price
Now that he's back on, it sounds terrible.
2:29:58
David Nordahl
I was break up, I can hear you now.
2:30:01
Brick Price
I can hear you. David, I can hear you perfectly but she's breaking up.
2:30:05
David Nordahl
Yeah. She is breaking up for me too.
2:30:07
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
David Nordahl. I just wanted say how much I appreciate your art. You are just one of the most talented artist. I just love what you do and I love what you done for Michael and I guess more than anything that he had such a great friendship with you too. I love listening to your voice. You sound like a very, very, gentle, caring, wonderful, imaginative person just the type of person that Michael Jackson was so I could see why you two had such a great friendship and well.
2:30:42
David Nordahl
Thank you so much you are very kind.
2:30:45
Brick Price
No. That was typical of all the people that I have met who were friends of his. That is true and they were human beings. He liked me because as a family man and because I was kid. I was a kid at heart and even now I'm gazillion years old, I still am, and David obviously has the imagination of a child and I think that is relevant.
2:31:08
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Well, I think the most fun I've had and I'll soon be 65 and it's 2 years ago when our company had a picnic and we engaged in a water balloon fight. I had a better time during that little episode than I had in a long time. So, you know, I guess I'm a big kid too.
2:31:26
David Nordahl
Yeah, he loved balloon fights too. He created that little spot down there with a little Indian village and a bridge and all these balloon launchers and __2:31:35__. He was a practical joker. I was there in the ranch and Eddie Murphy was gonna be driving up from L.A.
2:31:45
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh geez!
2:31:46
David Nordahl
And Michael and I were riding on a train. The train had just been installed and Max, the little 3-year-old chimp was afraid of the train, so Michael would hold him and we started out with him, we were in the back of the train and then as the evening went on then we got up closer and closer and closer to the engine and then finally Max actually sat in the conductor's or the guy running the train. He sat in his lap and so I -- while we were on the train, Eddie drove in an Michael said, "Oh! He's here too early I was gonna get the water balloon." Because he was waited for Eddie to come up to the front door and he's got to throw water balloons. (Laughs)
2:32:30
Brick Price
That's the pairing I would love to see, the two of them together.
2:32:33
David Nordahl
Yeah, that was great. I was surprised at how shy Eddie was at first. He came in and he sat down. He played the piano for about 20 minutes, excellent pianist, and then we had dinner that night and when dinner was almost over, Michael told the guy that run that projector down theater to bring the chimps up. Max and Alex and so we were sitting around the table and he brought them up and of course they were all dressed up and they were like little kids at first. They're real shy kind of first time went on, they started playing. They were like little kids and the guy from the theater told them to calm down and they both looked at him like, "Who are you? You're not the boss, right?" And when Max went and sat in Michael's lap and Max had a drink of water off from Michael's glass and Eddie was just horrified. He said, "Oh my God! Why did you let him drink off your glass?" And Michael told him he said, "He is more likely to get something from me than I am to get something from him."
2:33:47
Brick Price
I heard that those chimps were cleaner than my kids.
2:33:50
David Nordahl
Oh yeah. The chimps were great. I love those guys and the orangutan, the female was named Randy and then they had a male too and the male was just humongous.
2:34:04
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh, they are huge. (Crosstalk)
2:34:08
David Nordahl
I brought some Skittles back for her and they brought her out and she looked at me and a had long gray hair so I'm like an Alpha male and she just fell in love with me. I tried to give her a Skittle and she took my hand and turned it around and put it up to my mouth and then rubbed it all over her chest and her belly and she hugged me and she just won't let go. Finally, we had to pout her back in her cage and I felt so bad for her. She's wanted to keep me.
2:34:43
Brick Price
Maybe Michael brought you to her.
2:34:47
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
That's an amazing (crosstalk)
2:34:48
Brick Price
Did you ever meet their lion. __02:34:49__ close up.
2:34:51
David Nordahl
Last year.
2:34:54
Brick Price
Oh no, no. Don't go away, David can you hear us? Good gone.
2:35:00
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
David? David, what's going on?
2:35:04
Brick Price
I was gonna ask him if he'd ever met the lion?
2:35:05
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
David is totally __2:35:05__.
2:35:07
Brick Price
You can call him again. You think it could be me? Do you want me to go outside and get off the line?
2:35:10
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
What number are you on. Who's at 916?
2:35:19
Susan
Me, that's Susan.
2:35:23
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
And look what happened on the line. Rather let somebody else get on here.
2:35:26
Brick Price
There might be just too much signal.
2:35:27
S
It has been wonderful talking to everyone. Catherine, you are the __02:35:31__ putting this all together. Thank you so much. Have a great evening and I will be listening in tomorrow.
2:35:38
David Nordahl
Thank you for calling in
2:35:39
S
You bet.
2:35:40
David Nordahl
and I think it would be a great idea to have like something where we can have a discussion like we are now where there's 4 or 5 of us together.
2:35:46
Susan
Yeah. Yeah.
2:35:48
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
We should be able to do that. You know what I really wish. I will have my television studio up at the beginning of next month. I would so love it. Well I know you guys will compare because I'm in Chicago and I can't do anything about it. I just have to be in Chicago unless somebody give me some directions on another way to do it because I'm not technologically saying.
2:36:16
David Nordahl
Well Brad could probably help you. Brad and I together can try to figure out how to do a video teleconferencing.
2:36:23
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Okay, good then let's do this then.
2:36:27
David Nordahl
The technology is pretty good. I mean were doing a show in Israel right. Space show fro NASA and its amazing what we are able to accomplish, just what iPhones.
2:36:36
Susan
Oh wow!
2:36:37
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Okay, well then good, then let us start working on that and we will be able to have a total talk show. You know, it would be great. It would be great.
2:36:48
David Nordahl
Thank you for call in by the way.
2:36:49
Susan
You are very welcome. Thank you for sharing.
2:36:50
David Nordahl
What I can is I can bail. If once you get him back on the try cutting me off. See if it's okay now that she is gone. If not, they I can bail because it might had to deal with the multiplex signals or something I don't know.
2:37:10
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Okay I will try one more time to get David back. I don't know the case is.
2:37:15
David Nordahl
I would love to have drop in my conversation
2:37:20
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
But we all behave like about 15. I don't know what is going on. Well we have 15 more minutes left in the show.
2:37:27
David Nordahl
I know.
2:37:29
Brick Price
We'd have to talk really, really fast.
2:37:31
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
crosstalk.
2:37:36
David Nordahl
Ok, now I can here both of you perfectly.
2:37:37
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Well something else is going on where I can have as many people. I'm supposed to be able to have 50 people in here.
2:37:43
David Nordahl
It's perfect now.
2:37:47
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I only have like
2:37:51
Elizabeth
Catherine, can you hear me, Catherine?
2:37:54
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Oh! It's Elizabeth.
2:37:56
Elizabeth
Yeah, it's me. You know I called in. I've been -- you know listening for a few and I originally called in to see if I could hear you better on the phone and the only way anyone can hear the program right now is by calling in. We are getting no sound out here. Just so you know that.
2:38:18
Brick Price
Oh no. (Crosstalk)
2:38:25
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
I wanna know. I wanna know why they do these things when I really -- I must tell them, I don't this to be happening to me tomorrow.
2:38:34
Brick Price
Well, David there goes your 15 minutes of glory.
2:38:35
David Nordahl
(Laughs)
2:38:39
Brick Price
I got 5 minutes of glory.
2:38:43
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
So, there's who has just sent me a note and she says, "Hello from Portugal. She says thank you for all you do I'm so sorry I just could not, she says she can't talk because she does not speak English but she lost her connection several times. Best studio. This is very unusual. I must tell you.
2:39:03
Brick Price
I hope you have a recording so that you can play it back.
2:39:06
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah, it is recorded.
2:39:07
Brick Price
What? Is it recorded?
2:39:09
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Well, it is recorded and when plays backwards you're gonna hear people saying is I'm sorry you're disconnected. I just wanna it's amazing.
2:39:17
Brick Price
No. But in a hope you got David. (crosstalk)
2:39:18
Elizabeth
David, are you here.
2:39:20
S
I need you to hear the rest of this show that I note.
2:39:22
Elizabeth
Bet he can't hear it.
2:39:24
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Let's put on the recording. So I don't want that to happen again.
2:39:29
Elizabeth
Though since all of us hang up. So you could at least send some David back for the end
2:39:35
S
Yeah, you think that would help? I am certainly, certainly you need to ask him about question within that area. If you are curious to find out that if that happened during the whole show before you got people calling in.
2:39:45
David Nordahl
Yeah.
2:39:49
Elizabeth
We gonna call back then.
2:39:50
Brick Price
But David would you be available tomorrow night? Again? David Nordahl (02:39:54): Yeah. I might call in a__2:39:55__ same time.
2:39:57
Brick Price
It is because what I am thinking is that because of my condition and I think being to play off with you was very inconvenient for me and you see is anybody did miss the program and if she can't pull it forward, I would hate to lose that ability to hear what you are talking about.
2:40:15
David Nordahl
Oh. That's very kind of you.
2:40:18
Brick Price
No. no. no. It's not my station. (Laughs) I am just saying that I think it would be a sin to lose what you are saying and so hopefully it is recorded. (Crosstalk)
2:40:34
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Yeah, it is recorded. I wish you were also recorded.
2:40:35
Brick Price
Ok good. Then it should be fine, but still the invitation is open because I would love to have David back on because there were gaps since he worked in one air and I worked in another. But I'm not go away.
2:40:49
David Nordahl
Yeah. Okay. Yeah.
2:40:51
Brick Price
And let you finish up the show.
2:40:54
David Nordahl
Alright, good talking with you Brick and maybe I will call in tomorrow night when you are on.
2:40:56
Brick Price
It's Brick with a B.
2:40:57
David Nordahl
Yeah.
2:40:58
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
Brick. Yeah.
2:40:59
David Nordahl
Brick, that's right. Yes, I'm sorry.
2:41:01
Brick Price
No, it's quite right. (Crosstalk) Okay. Bye-bye.
2:41:07
Rev Dr Catherine M Gross
__2:41:07__ there's Elizabeth, I thought it was Nick.
2:41:12
Elizabeth
Yeah, I thought it was Nick and that sounds wonderful, whimsical, art by this by this Nick Price __2:41:19__ and then I looked up. Is it P-R-I-C-E, the last name?
2:41:25
David Nordahl
I think it's Y. P-R-Y-C-E, I think.
2:41:30
Elizabeth
Oh no wonder. Okay. Well, anyway hello David Nordahl and thank you so much for given your time to share with us about your origin and your time with Michael and it's really is very wonderful to hear his stories. You have such a pleasant voice in a way that it is really comforting to hear you.
2:41:57
David Nordahl
Oh. Thank you.
2:41:58
Elizabeth
The first time that I had known of you was from this one painting that is Michael is just about nude but with his white light cloth wrapped around him and like little cherub-like angels above him. You know the painting I mean, I don't know, what is the name of this?
2:42:19
David Nordahl
It's called Michael.
2:42:22
Elizabeth
It's just called Michael. Okay.
2:42:24
David Nordahl
Yeah. That's a big painting of him
2:42:25
Elizabeth
Maybe that why I forgot anyway.
2:42:27
David Nordahl
It was like 12 feet high. It's a big painting.
2:42:31
Elizabeth
Oh my. Well, I was so taken by that image, the first time I saw it. All I could think of to write in the response at whatever blog it was. It was nice legs.

No comments: